Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Crank the Shield 2014...The Review

Well the Crank was all I expected it to be, and then some!  The course itself threw a little of everything at us...rocky double track, grass, gravel road, mud, water crossings, wood, rocks and roots, and sweet single track....and hills upon hills.  The three days threw enough challenges at us that of the 195 racers, 52 DNF'd at some point!!

For me the biggest challenge was the cold!!  But before I get too far ahead of myself, this is how the event panned out for me...

Day 1

Me, NewfieSteve, EnglishJim rolled in and registered (Jaimie, Giant, and PowerPaul came in a different vehicle), and got geared up.

The trusty steed...



Hands were shook, as the familiar faces of some of the other similar minded crazy characters cranking the shield were recognized...JeffS, Oggie, mtbmeister, KevinW, Jeremiah, Bob...

Of, course I like to imagine myself in that group, but they are all twice as fast as I am....for now...

I ain't lion...



OK...lame...I know.  Anyways this is what the Stage 1 course looked like...


So 70 kms later, starting from Haliburton Forest, over many damn hills (as you can see on the elevation chart above), the technical Normac trail, through too many mud bogs, through a deep beaver dam water crossing, over a short road section (I got to ride with Jeremiah until he dropped me), and through a rocky hydrocut...4hours and 13minutes later (about 10 minutes behind Giant...well done Giant!!)  I limped into the finish at Camp White Pine.  Finished Day 1 of the Crank...uninjured, and bike intact!!  I was in 7th place in my category.  No feed stations were harmed by me on this day.

Little did I realize that this may have been the easiest (and best weather) of the three days...

The crew from Cabin 7 (we stayed in cabins at Camp White Pine)...post stage 1 recovery...




Day 2

The biggest issue with day 2 was the weather.  Waking up to 5 degrees Celsius and a forecast of 20mm of rain (luckily??? we only ended up with about half of that) was less than pleasant.

This was the Stage 2 course.



The rain had turned the beginning singletrack (Glebe Trail), into a mudslide, and the combination of mud, roots, and rocks made for a significant challenge...I have a couple of extra bruises to attest to it.

In fact, EnglishJim took enough of a spill to call it quits for the day...

Not unlike this guy...



Actually there were several DNFs on day 2, due to injury, and hypothermia.  Luckily I had layered well...but the conditions did make me feel slow and heavy until I forced myself to stuff my food into my face to give me enough fuel to properly deal with the conditions, and I was able to kick it up somewhat for the last 20 kms or so.

At one point mtbmeister went flying past me on the singletrack.  He had flatted early and was working his way to the front where he belonged.  Here is proof...



At another point I came up to Giant who was also repairing a flat.  I stopped to help, he had spent his CO2...so I left him my CO2 and he continued with the repair.

With the brutal conditions, I was never so happy in any other race, to see the 1 km to go sign!!  5 hours 13 minutes....slow...but finished...and held on to 7th place in my category.  One feed station harmed on this day.

We started our cabin on fire to stay warm...




Day 2 recovery....



The actual beer keg for Day 2 recovery beverages...



A trail sign...




Day 3

This day started off COLD!!!!  It was actually below zero in the morning!!
The course started off with a COLD 13 km neutral start from Camp White Pine to Sir Sams Ski and Bike resort...and the sun started coming out to warm things up a little.  This was the day 3 course map...


The guys...at Sir Sams...PowerPaul, Steve, Jaimie...




This day started out with climbing up and down Sir Sam's ski hill 3 times.  It was great fun!!  Then it lead back into the hydrocut trail...the same one we did in day one....but the opposite direction.  This meant more damn mud bogs....and crossing the beaver dam.  Then it finished off with the technical, muddy Ben's Trail, and the Normac Trail.

I decided into this day to leave the real racing to the professionals.  I was firmly in 7th place...and the cold had me feeling very sluggish.  So I played it careful, especially in the technical trails.  4 hours, 6 minutes...I hung on to seventh....finishing just several minutes behind 6th.  Two feed stations were harmed.

I'm not so good at selfies but this is me after day 3...





It took a few minutes to recover...
OK, actual Post Day 3 recovery...(Thanks to JeffS for the pic)...





By the way...JeffS...fast!!!  Proof??  He took this home...



Also...Oggie would have been on the overall podium for Two Man 100+ except for an unfortunate mechanical on day 2.

Jeremiah was on the podium on day 3...and just minutes off from 3rd over all three days.




Overall, this was an awesome event...if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.  It was expertly run, great people participating (I am continuously blown away by the quality of the people that participate in this sport...), the volunteers, the locals cheering.  It was a true test of both physical and mental fortitude...and worth every cent it cost.

The rumour is that due to lack of participation this may be the last 3 day Crank the Shield...I truly hope that isn't true...as soon as they announce the next one...I am in.

It's two days after the race...I am still hurting...but will be back at it tomorrow.  One more race to go this season...

Stay posted!!




2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the whole CTS package makes it a priceless experience; cold shower after the race while on a verge of hypothermia, followed by a free beer and great food, and a symphony of snoring for a nice sleep.
    Living a dream !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great race! CTS was my first stage race and despite the bone chilling combination of low temperatures and wet conditions it was still a blast. The food, riding, people and beer (maybe not in that order) all contributed to making this one of the best experiences in my cycling life! I was going into Crank the Shield with the midset of it being training for BCBR next year, but had so much fun riding I forgot about next years seven-day pain cave. I was in your cabin for the 2014 CTS and bunking with a bunch of hardened vets such as yourself was an excellent way to see what this style of racing does. Bring people together.
    I started a blog shortly after this race and did a quick overview of the race as well! Check it out, I might even have you and your crews cabin and bikes in a photo  http://midpackman.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/crank-the-shield-overview/

    ReplyDelete