Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Friday 18 December 2015

Running Fat

So after a couple of weeks off from training....and a couple of weeks of taking it easy-ish with more 'fun' based rides...it was time to get serious again with training.  What does that mean?

Well, for me, it started Saturday with a 120 km road/gravel ride on the CX bike.  And Fig joined me.  This was a moderately paced  endurance base training ride.

And it was all good....we stopped at Maddaugh Springs to re-hydrate...about 60 kms in.  And as we continued on Fig could feel a bonk coming on.  He had just recovered from some type of stomach flu or herpes or something...and he'd had a particularly stressful week or so at work.  So we stopped at Moffat...at Dar's bakery/buttertart shop...to give Fig a chance to eat to refuel....






But, food didn't help.  Fig bonked....as Fig does.  So I dragged him the remaining 45 km home.  Which was OK...cuz we came home to another firepit...




Fig provided his tasty home made cider for recovery...and all was good in the world...alcohol....cure-all.

Which must have worked cuz I signed up for this....



Which set me up well for Sunday's ride...a 50km fatfest with JeffS and his gang of fat bastages!  This was Jeff's brother Greg, Hal, and JodyFknfast.  All very experienced podium-regular racers.  4 hours of hitting every long-ass steep-ass hill possible...dragging my fat arse up Sydenham hill, through Spencer Adventure trails, through Christie Lake, over to Dundas Valley...an epic day of hurt-the-Metis!!!

Jody


Hal


Moi


Greg


Jeff

Jeff so fast...his wake carves the forest clean...



Either that or some loggers are attempting to destroy the Christie Lake trails...

Although, Jeff does ride up hills like a goat on turbo boost!!  Seriously....no idea how he does it...but every hill is a sprint...while I struggle granny ringing it all the way up....with my heart rate redlining...


We passed these cool falls along the way... (Either Webster's Falls....or Tew's....I can't remember...)



A gratuitous Riot shot...



A gratuitous money shot???






Fig didn't come on this ride cuz he doesn't have a mountain bike....but if he did...




Anyways....the training plan also called for a fatbike hammerfest on Wednesday.  And Giant dragged me around every possible hill in Dundas valley....for 3 hours.  Although Giant was too fast on the trails for me to get a pic...I did get a pic of him warming up in the parking lot before the ride...






And a pic of me and Giant...






Sorry, I'm too old to take a good selfie...






Anyways...as adaptive off-season training CoachRob also has me trailrunning...so Tuesday and Thursday were running days...yay....not.  I'm not a big fan of running...it hurts.  It is jarring to the body.  But the benefits so out-weigh the cons...and I want to be better at this game...so I run.

One positive thing about running...for me anyways...is you get a much better opportunity to notice trail features, and the surrounding nature than you do while mountain biking.  For example this week...

 Borers Falls



Stairs, steps, rocks and roots up and down the escarpment wall...





And there is always all sorts of wildlife...always squirrels, bluejays, the odd hawk...

Often deer...



Raccoons...



And every now and then, something totally unexpected...





OK...maybe I hallucinated that last one.  That's what running can do to you...





Wow...OK...anyways...apart from training...
Lois had my good friend JJMisfits make this for me in the spirit of the season...





Isn't that cool!?  My fatbike, and my superdy-duperdy orange jacket!!  (And a deer!)  Yes as well as a very talented MTBer....she is a very talented artist.  I have another ornament she made for me last year, and a sketch she made hanging on my wall.  Thank you Lois and JJ!!

Anyways...back to training...today is a recovery day....then tomorrow is another loooong CX road/gravel endurance ride....and Sunday another fatbike hammerfest.  And a firepit!!

Who is going to join??  Pinoy guys?  Fatboy Nation??  I'm sure Giant will...and Jaimie....but Fig??  If he does will he bonk??
Who else?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler???

Stay posted!!


No comments:

Post a Comment