Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Friday 4 March 2016

Bracing for Wendigo

So I finally did it.  No not buy a Bieber album.  I entered a Fatbike race.  I even participated...sort of.  It was DanOfSubstances fatbike race in Bracebridge....the fourth and last of his 45NRTH/CycleSolutions fatbike race series.  This race was 8 laps of a 4.4km course, for 40 total kms (or if you didn't feel you were a big enough boy, you could elect for a 4 lap/20km option).

So woke up early and made the long trek to Bracebridge with these cool cats...




Burnsy and Al of Fatboy Nation fame....and yes they always look blurry like that...

I may  have freaked a few people out, driving with this on....







Anyways...we got there.  Bracebridge is cold this time of year.....and they actually had snow which made it worthy of an actual fatbike race!  And all the familiar faces (along with the rest of the bodies) were there...which brought back the old race mode feeling.  JeffS, Seth, Giant were all there so I knew there would be little room on the podium for this regular dude.  (That means me...)

I did manage to photo bomb as many pics of fast guys as possible...



And Fatboy Nation was on site...





And ApexRacePhotography was on site to take pics...

So, Dan often adds a unique twist to his race events, and this one was no different.  This race featured a 2.5km ITT at 10:15am.  Your result in the TT resulted in a time bonus based on your placing, that you could use to reduce your time in the actual race proper, that started at noon.  In the TT racers started at 15 second intervals...and so we all lined up....shivering in the cold wind (except for the guy in the short sleeves...what was up with that???)...and when it came to my turn off I went.  Like a rocket...or like a guy slipping in the snow.  Around the first corner of loose snow...into a longish nicely groomed longish downhill...fun.  Then a level right hander through very loose foot deep snow leading into a long series of climbs.  I attempt to power through the snow...GUNK...and sudden drag on the chain/drive train.  I get off to look.  The chain has come off the bottom pulley on the rear derailleur...


As I struggled to get the chain back on track, NewfieSteve passed me, and kicked me over...(OK...he didn't kick me...but I'm sure I heard a chuckle there...).  He started 15 seconds behind me...

I got the chain sorted out....then started up the series of climbs...GUNK...there went the chain again.  Fine...these hills in this very loose snow were not rideable anyways.  Bike on my back...and run up the hills...almost a full km of loose snowy hills.  I could see Steve up ahead...and I was gaining on him...guess the trail running I've been doing was paying off...great.  I see Steve crest the top, get on his bike (I don't think anyone rode the hills), and away he was on the last downhill section...I would never catch him now...Steve loves downhills.  I get to the top...and as I pull the chain out of the derailleur again...I see a flash of red as someone else in a red jersey passes me.  I get on my bike, and into the remainder of the TT which is mostly downhill...and was quite fun...including a fun challenging series of steep down and ups (whoop-de-doos!)...then cruise through the finish with a crap time.  No bonus for me...



I spent some time between the TT and the race trying to figure out the chain/derailleur issue, but really, I am no mechanic....this is almost the extent of my mechanical abilities...





So...some chain lube...a bit of pushing on parts to see if  they would straighten out...and that was it.  Then wait in the truck to try to prevent hypothermia until race time.  Ah well...I was out on my bike...having fun with friends...could have been worse....



Anyways....after waiting in the truck for an hour or so for race time...we gather ourselves together and head to the start again...this time for the race proper.

The race itself, was flatter than the TT....thank goodness.  It had a couple of longish, gradual climbs...and a couple of soft spots that required a little more power, or walking.  Otherwise the rest was twisty flats or long downhills....and the fun whoop-de-doos that were in the TT were also in the race.  If you can figure the map out, this was the course...





Helpful?  Like you were there??  Anyways...bang...start....and off we went.  My hopes were to get through without incident...

Three times...in the first lap.  Three times the chain/derailleur issue.  So, after getting passed by at least 100 people, each one kicking, spitting, and chuckling at me (or maybe it was only Burnsy and NewfieSteve again...laughing...), I decided after the third time I would just ride it out.  It was still rideable off-track like that; it just created a large amount of drag.  Like riding in the tallest gear continuously, or riding with a flat tire, or riding with 10 extra pounds (wait...I'm already doing that this time of year, so make that 20...).  Anyways, I thought if I was careful I could get through it....although now I had so much lost time to make up...

And, so at the end of lap 2, and into lap 3 there was Burnsy just ahead.  Aha!!  I stood up to catch, and make a pass attempt.  And...BOOM.  The drag on the chain was too much...the chain snapped.  I was done.  I ran the bike back to the start to let Dan know I was out.  "Wait!", he says, "The Cycle-Solutions guys can help!"  Cycle-Solutions, one of the primary race sponsors had a pit at the start line.  They got to work repairing my chain...and made several attempts at trying to determine the derailleur issue.  After what seemed like a half hour (but was only 10-15 minutes), we decided that the derailleur thing was more than we could correct under the circumstances...and off I went.  Chain repaired but still not riding right on the the pulley.  So much thanks to Cycle-Solutions!!  I was back in it...although weakened chain and extra drag.

I finished my remaining 6 laps...the chain held and I did push it a few times trying to make up time.  I joked with the martial and her two small children on each lap to make me a hotdog or marshmallow on the small fire they had going.  The whoop-de-doos were fun....the small jumps at at the end of each lap were fun.  I made a few passes trying to make up time...I wiped out making an ass of myself trying to make passes where I shouldn't have a few times.  In the end...I finished.  And that in itself, was the accomplishment.

Congrats to all the fast guys...


JeffS, Giant, Seth...all on the podium.  (Seth killed the TT, but Jeff took him in the race....quite the internal competition).



NewfieSteve, second in the 20km (he says he will do the big-boy race next time).



No infamy for me on this day....but one day, if I work hard...


Actually, I did pass JeffS on this day...seriously...and as I did he took this pic....



So, there....proof it can happen...

Anyways...this just stoked the race fire for me.  I think I could have done well, without the incidents (I know...excuses...).  And I had been waffling about doing an upcoming race on March 5th...but it is an incredibly tough one...not sure I am up for it.

http://www.ottawavalleyultras.com/story-of-the-wendigo.html


The Wendigo Ultra...in the Ottawa Valley...a 90km fatbike ultra-race....the first 11km across a wideopen frozen lake (after they had 30cm of snow this week).

Of course, I made the mistake of telling Giant about this race.  He pushed me over the fence...he said he would do it, and he would drive (5 hours to get there), if I would do it.  So here we go...we leave today...March 4th.  With a new cassette, derailleur, and chain (thank you BicycleWorks Waterdown for the great service...yet again!!)...I am almost set to go...

Good way to start the season??  Should be some worthy stories...if I didn't feel like throwing up already...

Anyways...I'm running behind to get ready....so....

Stay posted!!



No comments:

Post a Comment