Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Friday 30 October 2015

Fall Stuff (Not Falling)

So now with the race season pretty much over...to find topics to write about I need to get creative and stuff.  That's hard.

Nobody has got Shikazeed off the podium, no one has got Cauchied to vomitousness in a race, Unglued hasn't crashed (that we know about), Blaze isn't back...yet...There are no friendly BikeZone people on my local trails...

I guess I could do a review of the season, but according to the purveyor of all wisdom, (Rob Ford????) "The past is in the past" (with a short statute of limitations, I suppose); besides that would be boring as hell (would hell really be boring???).





I could write about how great riding in the fall is....but everybody does that.  Riding in the fall, admittedly, is great...with the leaves turning colour, the forest thinning out, temperatures moderating...but it's not really the best season for riding.  Summer is really where it's at.  Trails always dry and rideable...the bright sunlight from 5am to 10pm, a constant very comfortable 25 degrees, and coming home from a ride with Lois waiting for me with a recovery beverage....








Yeah....summer is the best mtb season....a guy can dream, right?? (Luckily, I don't have to...)

Plus...Lois always has her friend ready to wash my bike in the summer...




Anyways...I am enjoying riding for the last coupled of weeks without structured training plans....but I will be getting back at it next week....I think.  I actually enjoy training with a purpose.  As much as I had begun to get burned out from the race season, I knew that by January I would sorely be missing the racing.  Then just this week I stumbled across this...

http://substanceprojects.com/news-articles/ontario-fat-bike-series-schedule

Yes....a winter fat bike race series, by our friends at Substance Projects!!  Starting in January...perfect!!  Almost...




Yeah...so maybe I will have to do that!!  Maybe this one that BicycleWorks just got in the store??




Well it may not be that specific bike, but luckily they have about 20 other models in the store...

So, DanOfSubstance...how about a fall gravel bike series to follow it up with??  And while you are at it....how about bringing back the EagerBeaver MTB 100 miler??!!  A guy can dream, right??  Maybe if enough of us pester him...or bring him 40 Creek, and cookies...






One thing I do do (do do???) in the off season is to try new stuff....gear, clothing, nutrition...

Right now, I am trying this...


So far I am liking it.  Usually I don't test nutrition during the race season because I don't like the possible bad surprises...and yes those have happened...so I do my exploring this time of year.  I have a background in Sports Science and that stuff so I get right into it.  I don't do centrifuge separations, or burn to test for caloric content or anything like that...I don't test on animals (although my cats do get a little too close often...)....but I do check the label thingy...



I like to know what kind of energy per serving is available, the electrolyte content, and the ratios...  What is really cool is that it is customizable...you can add energy/carbs (eload calls their standalone carb product FLY) in case you are a bigger person with more energy needs, or are doing a longer or more intense race/session.  You can add more electrolytes (Zone Caps)...if it is a hotter day, or you sweat more.  And the eload website is very thorough , www.eload.net

Mostly, I like that it is gut friendly.  I'm trying the pineapple flavour....tastes great.  Check it out.
There...I guess that's my free, shameless pitch o' the day???  Think e-load will pay me a kazzillion dollars now??  Maybe I can afford to race RAAM?

Or at least get a fatbike...BicycleWorks here I come....get my SWorks Fatboy ready...

Stay posted!




No comments:

Post a Comment