Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Thursday 9 February 2017

Sorry, But I am Back

So here I am all returned and stuff.  Last week Tuesday I set out for LandHam country...aka Minto, New Brunswick...




The truck was loaded up, with Hok skis, snowshoes, winter gear, food, drink....and the fatbike...





And so off I was for a 2am departure, with Lois reluctantly waving me goodbye...






The drive out actually went according to plan...great weather, and very manageable traffic...even through Quebec.  I pulled into the LandHam's yard late Tuesday afternoon...where it was time to meet and greet...


Two of the family of five


Then a post drive relaxer that I had imported...





One of the reasons for this visit was to help the LandHams with a winter race they were running on Saturday.  But first Jeff had a different plan for the Wednesday.  Wednesday the plan was to ride out fatbikes to Fredericton to visit a local brewery or three.  60+ kms of skidoo trails and rail trail...only some of which Jeff was familiar with.  So Wednesday morning at about -10 degrees (which was not so bad), we headed out on this adventure...



Testing out the LandHam's new bikepacking seat packs.


A small bit of road riding (icy and slippy as heck!!) and we were on the trails.  Mint!!  The trails looked like 4ft deep powder, but they were frozen solid!!  It was a veritable highway of snow...as long as you didn't break though the crust.  We encountered a couple of detours in the skidoo trails (where landowners must have revoked permission for use), and maybe a time or two getting lost, which made the 60km ride a 70km ride.  But trail conditions were so perfect we flew...even with a few pit stops we covered the distance in 4.5 hours...4 hours of riding time.


A stop to eat along the way...


But even with the great conditions, pushing a 40lb fatbike is no easy matter...so we were grateful when we finally  pulled into Fredericton and the first brewery, Picaroons...




We put on dry gear, ordered warm food, great beer.  Tanya had driven to Fredericton to ride a local trail, then came to Picaroons to join us...more warm food, more great beer.  You guessed it...we pitted in...now warm, sated, and tired...that was it for the tour.  An awesome Wednesday, and day 1 of the Tour de LandHam!

Thursday was all about preparing the race.  Jeff and I planned to ride out to sign the course.  With bulky backpacks ungainly laden with large course signs and tools, we set out to ride the course and plant the route signs.  The course was a great 12 km mix of long straitaways, tricky single track, flats, false flats, and outright hills.  One of the long straitaways, slightly descending had been ridden by an ATV that left deep wheel ruts, and was a lot more sketchy to ride than it looked.  (Hint: foreshadowing...)




Parts of the course were quite icy....making some of the hills a challenge, and some off camber sections sketch.  Riding with the full back pack, route signs banging off the back of my helmet and clipping every tree and branch within 3 feet of me...I went down in a couple of icy off camber sections, spilling signs all over the course.  Anyways, a couple of hours of riding, and sign planting, then we headed back to chez LandHam for food.

Then back on with dry gear, to head out for a night ride of the course with a group of local riders.  This was my first night ride since the previous 24 hours of Summer Solstice...but it was great.  The course actually went by a firepit (with a little wood hut).  So post ride the group congregated around the firepit with adult recovery beverages...(yeah...beer...and maybe a flask or two...), and perhaps an inappropriate comment or two...Riot style.  And that was Thursday, several hours of great fatbiking...day 2 of the Tour de LandHam.

Friday, the plan was for the LandHams to snowshoe the course with tools to scuff up the icy sections and trim trees and branches that may interfere with the course.  I rode a couple of laps to make sure the sign we had planted were adequate, and to test the LandHams course grooming.


Jeff and puppies grooming...

As I rode the course the LandHam's grooming was perfect.  There was a steep drop with a sharp left turn that required a caution sign (every good course needs a caution sign), that now rode easily after their trail work....the icy hills were now all rideable...and perhaps my confidence grew more than my skill level (not at all hard to do).  I was screaming down a straitaway, when I caught one of the sketchy ATV ruts...and down I went...hard; firmly planting a handle bar end into my groin.  How do you wipe out and take a bar to the groin??  I don't know, but I did it.  Luckily, it missed the important bits (you know what I mean...)...but still, a nasty lump and bruise.  Made it not entirely pleasant to get back seated on the bike.  Oh well...I survived...and limped on...

Friday evening was spent with final planning...and some prize preparation...



What do you think DanOfSubstance???


And perhaps a few too many recovery beverages.  Friday, a couple hours of riding, a nasty wipeout, lots of planning...a sore groin...day 3 of the Tour de LandHam was in the books.

Saturday...race day...lots to do!!  But...there is a lot more to this story...with not a lot of time left today.  Haven't even got to the race yet...

or how my injury progressed...

or the story about how I wasn't sure if I would even make it home again...ever.

Or if Lois even wanted me home again...




And all the stuff that happened now that I am back...

So...in an unprecedented move...we will continue this saga tomorrow...yeah a Friday post...

Almost cliffhanger-y eh??  All the best stuff is coming!!

Stay posted!






No comments:

Post a Comment