Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Friday 10 February 2017

Sorry...But I am Still Back (Part Ooo)

So...yesterday we left our oaf (I may be Lois' Superman, but I am otherwise no hero...perhaps a protagonist at best...even a jolly fellow on a good day...anyway...digressing already...) on the eve of race day Saturday out in LandHam, New Brunswick, which is just outside of Minto, which is east of Fredericton.

So, the Friday evening race prep led to race day Saturday.




I had two jobs this day.  The first one was to make on last check of the course to make sure no trees came down, or signs got moved.  So out I went 9am on Saturday...and minus 23 degrees.  Yes...minus 23.  I put on as much warm gear as I could...but minus 23.  It was almost cold enough for me to forget about my painfully bruised groin...reminder to possibly get that checked when I get home.  So, it wasn't a speedy ride...but it was a ride...and the course got checked...and it warmed up to minus 18 by ride end.

Then I got into warm winter gear and 'supervised' the race registration...then headed out for my second job.  I was in charge of 'Marshalling' the firepit zone.  So I got the firepit roaring ablaze...




Not this Blaze...



this blaze...


I got a generator running to blast some music...and set up to cheer racers on, warn them of an upcoming tricky creek crossing, and hand out Timbits.  Yes....Timbits...

The original idea was to set up a shot station to hand out shots of Screech to racers as a warm up as they passed my station.


However, after (too much) thought, and a mention of such to a lawyer/rider (always be wary of lawyer/riders...)...the LandHams had worried themselves into a tizzy of believing it was possible to end up with a drunken Metis running down the trail throwing frozen Timbits at racers.  The possibility was quite probable.  And maybe an issue about liability...

So Timbits it was...

So...fire going...tunes blasting...racers racing by...some taking Timbits...the race went off great!!  It had actually warmed up to about -12.  No serious incidents (there was a nervous doctor who is also a local rider on site)...and racer feedback was phenominal.  Great course, perfect conditions, fun time, many prizes.  The LandHams broke the mold on this one...I was happy to play a small part in it.  I had a riot!

Then some post race cleanup....and recovery.  (Someone had to drink that Screech we bought!)
Day 4 of the Tour de LandHam done.

Sunday...the plan was to drive to Fredericton to ride some of the local trails that were reported to be in amazing condition for fatbiking.  After breakfast Jeff and I went out to prep the bikes.  I put my sockless feet into my winter boots, threw on my parka, touque and gloves...still in my pajama pants...out to the shed to air the tires, and lube chains.

Jeff decided that the shed was getting a little too full of accumulating bags of household recycling....and that since we were outside anyways...we should deliver them to the recycling centre.  So we loaded the bags into the truck...and headed out for the 10-12km drive.  Bad decision number one???

On the way Jeff spots a snowed over back road/short cut...(it was a skidoo trail!!!); puts the truck into 4x4 and decides to take this 'short cut'.  Should be fun...bad decision number 2!

A few 100 metres in....whump!!!  The left side of the truck sinks two feet deep.  Stuck...
Maybe not quite this bad...




Maybe closer to this...




After some unsuccessful digging...some walking up and down the road to assess the situation...a call to a buddy with a 4x4 Jimmy was made.  Out came buddy with his truck, and his dad to the rescue.  Still...after 3+ hours of digging, pushing, pulling, towropes and tow chains, a nearly second truck stuck (I hear a Corb Lund song in here somewhere)...me still in my pajama pants...we were finally free.

So...the planned fatbike ride was now out the window...but a good winter workout was had!

So...overall a wonderful 'vacation'!  Time spent with great friends...so many sincere 'thank yous' to the LandHams for their very gracious hospitality!!  At no time did I feel this happening to me...




Then Monday was the drive home.  1400 kilometres took me almost 18 hours.  The conditions through New Brunswick were much sketchier....snow and ice covered roads.  Then hit Quebec province through rush hour....so much stop and go traffic...

Luckily I had Blaze call me a couple of times to make sure I was alive, awake, aware.  Thank you, sir!!  (More good friends!)  And Lois stayed on the phone with me for long stretches.  Turns out she was eager for me to get home after all!  She was waiting for me upon arrival...






Her eagerness may have had something to do with the fella she hired to watch my bikes for me while I was gone...but oh well...






Anyways...back home...safe and sound.

First thing back was to make sure I didn't do permanent damage with the bar to the groin wipeout.  Now I am very, very lucky to have a great doctor.  She has seen me through various injuries over the last 15+ years...from severe saddle sores to collapsed lung.  She has probably seen more of my sorry carcass than Lois has...

So I was a little surprised this time when her first comment was...
"Wow, you are going to have to quit playing with yourself..."
Me:  "What?  Why?"
Doc:  "So I can examine you."

I guess, some old nervous habits never go away...

OK...I kid...seriously...all is good.  And now, it is time to get serious about training as well...so that has been starting this week.  And signing up for the necessary things...

License applied for...

Yup...as a member of True Grit Cycling...
And a couple of races signed up for...

It's only 2 months away!!




A 2017 'A' race



And time to get serious about CoachRob's workout schedule...

And did you now this is this weekend?


Not sure if it is sold out yet or not?

Anyways...again, a long one...CoachRob is telling me I gotta go...so...
Till next time...

Stay posted!


The end?  Or....the beginning???




No comments:

Post a Comment