Is This A Logo??

Is This A Logo??

Thursday 3 August 2017

Bones 'n Bikes...the continuing saga...

After yesterday's post reviewing all the goings-on in mtb this week, I was asked for an update regarding the progress of my injury recovery.

Well, maybe I wasn't asked so much as nudged...

And, maybe it wasn't a 'fan' as such...maybe it was just one of my cats...





Well...OK then...

Anyways...

The progress of the broken thumb and ribs continues.  I don't see any mountain biking in the near future because the bouncing and jarring would not be tolerable...I don't think.  At the very least the threat of falling on them again is not tolerable.  (I think of Toblerone every time I write 'tolerable'....mmmm Toblerone...).

Anyways...last Sunday was two weeks since the injury...and any kind of real activity.  By mid-week last week I was getting antsy so Friday I ventured to test what the bones could tolerate.

I borrowed this beauty from the best bike shop in Waterdown...BicycleWorks.




A Kona Ti Rove with 33mm tires.  I thought it would let me get on the road and gravel...and soak up the bumps...so Friday I went to test it out.

A short 40 km romp....all was ok.  Major bumps and knocks were felt...and I can't get the broken thumb in a glove...but overall...it worked.




Saturday felt no ill affects...so Sunday, to give it more of a test, I had NewfieSteve and PowerPaul drag me around the countryside for 100+ kms adding rail trail and gravel to the mix...




Any hills...or any effort that required deeper breaths made the ribs ache a bit, but otherwise...it was all good!




So...Tuesday tried the carbon Crux...cross bike...again on 33mm tires.  The plan was to test the comfort...and if possible to push for 160kms.





At around 65km the bones were all feeling ok-ish...then I turned into this...





Thinking it would blow over and I would be OK, I continued.  Then about 500m down the road...a flash, crack, and boom had me turn around and hightail it for home!

The thunder chased me the entire way!  And when I saw these guys...I knew it was a bad sign...




With about 5km to go...soaked...

And in fact, I did not make it all the way home...




A good spot to wait out the storm...and Lois came to join me...

My 160km ride was cut short to just over 100kms...again.  But as far as the bones are concerned it was all good!!



Thanks dude!!

However I need to find a glove I can fit the thumb into.  Riding the Crux barehanded wore my palm raw (no...that is not a problem I am used to...).

Otherwise...weather permitting...looking forward to the next test.  So far the cross bike on the road is helping me to keep some form...and keep the weight somewhat managable...

So...more testing...longer rides?  Hill repeats??

Leading eventually, perhaps to being able to do the Eager Beaver 160 in two weeks??

Then hopefully...a mtb ride...soon-ish after that...

Not soon enough...

But...one step at a time...

Stay posted!!








No comments:

Post a Comment